Lienz’ Main Square is hosting its magical Christmas market, full of holiday lights, a strolling night watchman, a larger-than-life Advent Calendar and devilish figures called “Krampus” roaming the streets of town on evenings around St. Nicholas’ feast.
Deeply rooted in tradition, the Advent Market at the Main Square of Lienz is rated among the most beautiful markets of Tirol and enchants visitors with lovingly decorated stalls, holiday lights illuminating the entire town and warming, open fires. With more than 30 stalls stacked with fine handicrafts and other articles that make wonderful Christmas presents, and the air effervescent with scents of delectable foods and open fires, the Lienz Advent Market is a gift for visitors of all ages. The larger-than-life Advent Calendar shows 24 windows of Liebburg Castle, the town hall of Lienz, with Christmas motifs. Each day at 6:30pm, a window is opened and one of 24 works of art is presented.
Lienz Advent Season Highlights
- The larger-than-life Advent Calendar’s 24 windows of Liebburg Castle are opened daily at 6:30pm and at 11:30am on December 24
- Lienz Krampus Nights: December 3 and 5 at 7:30pm and December 6 at 6:30pm
- The night watchman is strolling around the market daily at dusk
- Nativity Scene Exhibition at Town Hall: December 7 to 16 from 10:00am to 7:00pm
- At the “Living Workshops”, visitors can watch skilled craftsmen and artists who lovingly labour over elaborate items: November 23 to December 16, Mondays to Thursdays 3:00pm to 7:00pm, Fridays to Sundays 10:00am to 7:00pm
The Austrian Christmas season brings not only St. Nicholas, the bearer of gifts, but also Krampus, his darker side, who appears to mete out punishments for misdeeds of the past year. Large, foreboding, black-clad and antlers on his head, devilish figures called “Krampus” roam the streets of Lienz on evenings around St. Nicholas’ feast, which is December 06. Elaborate nativity scenes are on display at Liebburg Castle. The strolling night watchman and an array of accompanying events are great additions to Lienz Advent Season and further add to the spirit-filled atmosphere of the season.